Free Information and Advice

New Fathers 4 Justice does not recommend solicitors. In these pages we attempt to provide you with free resources and advice to help you with your case and point you to people, organisations and volunteers that may be able to help you out.

They are many paid forums that encourage you to pay a registration fee but the same sort of advice is free on several Social Networking and Father rights advice sites. We particularly recommend the following site run by Fathers 4 Justice USA.

Support Group.jpg

When you’ve split up with your ex partner it’s important to know what your rights and responsibilities are regarding your children. One of the first things you must do is to determine whether or not you have parental responsibility for your children.

Your first step should be to send a registered letter to your ex-partner in which you ask her to reinstate contact between you and your children, and stating that if she does not do so, you’ll have no option but to resort to legal action. Don’t forget to take a copy of the letter for your records and keep your proof of sending.

If this produces no action, you have no alternative but to go to court and ask for Contact Order but this could be a lengthy process.

The Process

If you wish to apply for a contact order, the actual process differs according to your locality. You will need to make an application to either the County Court, the High Court or the Family Proceedings Court. A copy of the application is then served on the Respondent, who is commonly the other parent.

In April 2013 legal aid was removed for most types of family law. The government has been making cuts across the board and this now includes legal aid. This means that people who were once able to get help with legal fees will no longer be able to do so, except in certain limited circumstances.


What does this guide do?

It explains how to apply for a court order about the arrangements for your children. These orders are called child arrangements orders. A child arrangements order sets out who your child or children will live with in the future, who they will spend time or have contact with, and when these arrangements will take place.

It does not explain how to apply for an order for contact with your child if your child is in care – being looked after by the council.

The guide assumes that you will be applying for a court order yourself or with a Mackenzie Friend, without the help of a lawyer.

More free advice leaflets can be downloaded from Advicenow Guides

Advice Now


Feeling Depressed

If you are feeling depressed or suicidal call the Samaritans on 116 123, this number is FREE to call.You don’t have to give your real name or any personal information if you don’t want to.

The Samaritans is a registered charity aimed at providing emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland through their telephone helpline.



%d bloggers like this: